Every business is searching for ways to make their site rank better organically. And is makes sense. According to Search Engine Journal:
- 70 percent of links search engine users click on are organic.
- 70 – 80 percent of users ignore paid ads and focus on organic links.
- Companies that blog have 434% more indexed pages. And companies with more indexed pages get far more leads.
What Is Cornerstone Content?
Cornerstone content defines what you want your business to be known for. LinkedIn refers to it as “Big Rock” or marquee content. It must be a useful reference tool and provide answers for anyone searching on the keyword. Good cornerstone content will position your company as a thought leader in your area of expertise. And it will help your site rank organically.
How To Create Cornerstone Content
The good news is you don’t have to start from scratch. You can re-edit content you have already created to make it cornerstone content.
1. Revisit the page you want to make cornerstone content and start editing.
- Make your cornerstone content a page, not a blog post.
- Build cornerstone content like a landing page. It should answer all the questions in one place.
- Your aim is to write an informative response the question relating to your keyword.
- For tips and tricks, check out our post on How To Write A Blog That’s Interesting To Read.
2. Keyword research.
- Use the keyword you want to rank for on your cornerstone content.
- Use long-tail keyword variations to create blog posts and link those pages back to your cornerstone content.
For example, if you had a gardening business and wanted to demonstrate your expertise in vegetable gardens, you would use “vegetable gardens” as your cornerstone content keyword. You would then create a series of blog posts using long-tail variations of the keyword vegetable gardens, such as “Planting Summer Vegetable Gardens” or “10 Tips To Maintain Your Vegetable Gardens” etc. These blog posts would link back to the cornerstone content “Vegetable Gardens”.
Hint: There are free online tools to generate long-tail keywords, such as http://keywordtool.io.
3. Write the perfect headline incorporating your keyword.
- It’s a good practice to write up to 20 headlines and select your best.
- You must use your keyword in your headline.
- Tools like Portent’s Idea Generator can help spark your creativity.
- A catchy headline will encourage readers to share your content, which will boost traffic to your site.
4. Flag Your Page on Yoast as Cornerstone Content.
- Scroll to the bottom of your page and look for the Yoast SEO box.
- Check the box that says “This article is cornerstone content”
Need help with your content marketing? Talk to us today.
- Using Cornerstone Content to Make Your Site Rank
- How To Create Cornerstone Content that Google Loves
- What Is Cornerstone Content?
- Creating Your First Big Rock: A Step by Step Guide for Marquee Content
- 24 eye popping SEO statistics